The Parish Giving Scheme (PGS) is now live in Bath & Wells!
PGS is a convenient and secure way for regular givers to support their church. Using direct debit, PGS collects gifts monthly, quarterly or annually on the 1st of each month and pays these directly into the church’s bank account as one lump sum within a few days. PGS automatically claims the associated gift aid each month and pays this to the church as soon as it arrives.
Givers can also opt to increase their gift each year in line with inflation to help your church income keep pace with rising costs.
PGS is currently used by over 4,700 parishes in the Church of England and collects gifts from over 75,000 givers. Since their launch PGS has processed over £365m of gifts and gift aid on behalf of churches and every gift is covered by Direct Debit Guarantee.
Why is PGS good for churches?
- Reduced administration for Treasurers and Gift Aid Secretaries
- Detailed reports help you track your givers and thank them
- Improved cashflow with monthly gift aid claims
- Inflationary increases help combat static giving †
- Powerful conversation starter to help kick-start a review of giving
- No transaction fees for collecting regular gifts and gift aid so your church receives the full value of each gift.
- One-off gift function helps attract additional giving
† - Just over half of all givers using PGS have opted to increase their gift annually. Of these, 98% accept the annual increase or increase their gift to a level above inflation each year.
How to register
- Your PCC must pass a resolution to adopt PGS. The resolution can be as simple as "We the PCC of [name of church] request the Parish Giving Scheme to commence operation of the scheme and collect monies on our behalf."
- Request a parish registration form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Specify the name of your church and whether you would like to register a single church or more than one church as part of a multi-church parish
- Return your completed registration form to email@example.com along with one of the following:
- A copy of a paying in slip
- A copy of a blank cheque
- A copy of the first page of a recent bank statement (within the last 3 months) confirming the account details and registered address on the account (transactions can be redacted for confidentiality)
Once your church is registered to use PGS we will send a pack of resources to help promote PGS as a preferred giving method to your regular givers.
Who to contact
For more information or if you have questions about PGS please contact the Giving and Funding team:
Tel: 01749 685119