Parish Share 2024

In December 2023, Jenny Hollingsworth, Diocesan Secretary contacted each parish in the diocese sharing details of the request of parishes for 2024. Parish share receipts in our diocese have fallen significantly in recent years, making it difficult to cover the cost of paid ministry and the associated support costs for parishes, schools and chaplaincies.

Jenny says, "We are very aware that our request to help address that shortfall comes as we are trying to reach deeper into our communites and grow church families, against a backgrop of a cost-of-living crisis, a fall in the number of volunteers, and the increased cost of maintaining our beautiful buildings.

"Based on the parish share currently paid, only 20% of benefices cover the cost of paid ministry and support in their benefice, with the remaining 80% of benefices having their paid ministry and support subsidised through the Common Fund. This is not a sustainable financial position. If we want to maintain our ministry provision across our diocese we need to find ways to address this imbalance together."

Each parish received personalised breakdown which also showed details of any adjustment to minimise excessive changes to the previous year's request and to address the challenge presented by only 20% of benefices covering the cost of paid ministry and support for their benefice.

Download a copy of Jenny's letter below.


Parish Share 2024 letter from Jenny Hollingsworth, Diocesan Secretary

Parish Share 2024 - Option form

Supporting Generous Giving leaflet

Requests by deanery



Bruton and Cary

Chew Magna






Midsomer Norton




Shepton Mallet

Somerset South




Who to contact

Contact the Finance team should you require any further information

Powered by Church Edit